Bolivia Town Hall is located at 4050 Business Route 17 East, Bolivia NC 28422; phone: 910-253-5303.
Bolivia became the county seat in 1977, having been moved from Southport. The town was organized about 1890 and incorporated in 1911. The town was supposedly named in the 1880s because the area was awash in boxes of tar and turpentine stamped for shipment to "Bolivia."
The Wilmington, Bolivia and Southport Railroad once shuttle passengers and freight among the 2 towns.