Haw River Town Hall is located at 403 East Main Street, Haw River, NC 27258.
The area that would become the Town of Haw River was first settled by Adam Trollinger, a German immigrant who came in 1745 by way of Pennsylvania. In 1848 his son, Jacob, built a grist mill around which a village, known as Trollinger's Ford, grew up. In 1844 Benjamin Trollinger built Granite Mill which was the genesis of the textile industry in the village. The North Carolina Railroad passed through town in 1849 thanks to Benjamin Trollinger's decision to build at bridge of the Haw River and pay for it himself. The Town then became known as Haw River Depot.
Factories were built, sold and developed and the textile industry thrived well into the 20th century. A county-run school was opened in 1904. From 1911 to 1923 Haw River residents could travel to Graham and Burlington via streetcar.
The Town of Haw River was incorporated in 1973. By 1981, Haw River had become the largest producer of corduroy in the world.
‡ A Brief History of Haw River, North Carolina, www.rootsweb.ancestry.com, accessed January, 2012.
Nearby Towns: Bellemont • Mebane City •