Hamilton City Hall is located at 223 South 2nd Street, Hamilton, MT 59840.
On September 4, 1890, one of Butte, Montana's "Copper Kings" (Marcus Daly) founded Hamilton, Montana. The new community received its name from James Hamilton, Daly's Chief Planner. The town of Hamilton, incorporated in 1894, became the seat of Ravalli County in 1898. The growth of this community, situated in the center of Montana's Bitterroot Valley, revolved around agricultural and lumber industries. During the first decade of the 1900s, out-of-state land promoters advertised Bitterroot Valley as exactly suited to the cultivation of apple orchards. However, this venture failed, and the population of the Bitterroot Valley remained static until the 1920s when the area experienced a gradual increase in population, which continued until the 1940s. Even during the Depression era, the population of the county remained stable and the agricultural industry performed adequately in comparison to the rest of the United States.