The Oktibbeha County Courthouse is located at 108 West Main Street, Starkville, MS 39759; phone: 662-323-1520.
Oktibbeha County is home to Mississippi State University.
Oktibbeha County was formally organized on December 23, 1833, with the first court meeting at Hebron the following year. By 1835, the county seat had been established at Boardtown, which changed its name to Starkville in honor of General John Stark, a hero of the Revolutionary War. During the pre-Civil War years Oktibbeha County developed into an area of small farms with a number of large plantations.