Carrollton Town Hall mailing address is PO Box 181, Carrollton, MS 38917.
Established in 1834 as one of the two county seats of Carrol County, which was created by legislative act in 1833 from lands ceded by the Choctaw Indians. Carrollton was laid out on a forty-acre site on the south side of Big Sand Creek. During the antebellum period the small community grew as the mercantile and governmental center for the surrounding agricultural region. It was, however, the prosperity and subsequent expansion of the last quarter of the 19th century that is reflected in the character of the town, since Carrollton evolved into a major commercial and social center for the area as well as a residential community attractive to Delta planters who wished to escape the mosquito-infested lowland. Despite being bypassed in 1889 by the Columbus and Greenville Railroad Company, which opted to locate one mile above the town on the north side of Big Sand Creek, the courthouse town continued to thrive, peaking with a population of 608 in 1910. The location of the railroad in the newer community of North Carrollton reduced the need for expansion and modernization in Carrollton, insuring at an early date its preservation.