Marshall City Hall is located at 214 North Lafayette Street, Marshall, MO 65340.
Marshall was settled in 1839 by immigrants from Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky, on a site known as Elk's Hill. It was named for John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (1801-1835). Because of its inland location, the town grew slowly, since the better lands along the Missouri River on the northern and eastern borders of Saline County were occupied first. The Civil War seriously hampered the town's expansion, for after 1862 the place was occupied almost continually by Federal troops. On October 13, 1863, the Confederate general, Joseph Shelby, was defeated near the city by Federal troops under the command of General E. B. Brown and Colonel John F. Philips. In 1870 the town had a population of only 924, but by 1881, 3 years after the arrival of the Chicago and Alton Railroad, it numbered 3,000.