The Gasconade County Courthouse is located at 119 East 1st Street, Hermann, MO 65041; phone: 573-486-2632.
Organized November 25, 1820, (effective January 1, 1821) from Franklin County and named for the Gasconade River. Gasconade may be one of the early satirical nicknames, like Paincourt, meaning "short of bread" for St. Louis, which has survived. It probably derived from the French word gascon meaning "boaster, braggart" which may have been applied to the people who lived along the river and who may have been inclined to brag about their exploits when they returned to St. Louis. [www.sos.mo.gov, accessed July, 2012.]