Photo: Frank J. Cobbs House, ca. 1898, 407 East Chapin Street, Cadillac, MI. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Photographed by user:Andrew Jameson (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed January, 2014.
Cadillac City Hall is located at 200 North Lake Street, Cadillac, MI 49601.
The Grand Rapids and Indian Railroad reached the settlement known as Calm Lake in Wexford County in 1872. George A. Mitchell founded the town and was elected its first mayor. The name was changed to Cadillac in 1877 when the city was incorporated. The name honors Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, early explorer and founder of Detroit. Predominant among the early settlers of Cadillac were the Cobb, Cummer, Diggins and Mitchell families. Cadillac was selected as the Wexford County seat in 1882 after a decade-long battle among various towns.