Photo: Captain James Nye House, ca. 1762, North Falmouth Historic District, Barnstable County, MA. The North Falmouth Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. Photographed by User:John Phelan (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed February, 2014.
Falmouth Town Hall is located at 59 Town Hall Square, Falmouth, MA 02540.
First settled about 1660, Falmouth was incorporated in 1686. The area was called Succanessett by the Indians. It was settled by a group of Quakers led by Isaac Robinson. In 1779 the townspeople were obliged to repel attacks by British ships. During the War of 1812 the British again attacked this section, and one of their ships was captured. Agriculture, ship building, fishing, whaling, and the manufacture of sale and glass were important industries at various periods of the town's growth and development.