Wayne County government offices are located at 401 East Main Street, Richmond IN 47374; phone: 765-973-9200.
The Indiana Territory was created in 1800 and Wayne County was organized in 1810 with Lawrenceburg serving as the first county seat. The county is named for General "Mad Anthony" Wayne. The area was first settled by Quakers. The discovery of the area, the White Water Valley, is credited to Judge Peter Fleming and Joseph Wasson, a Revolutionary soldier who accompanied the former from Kentucky in 1804. The first settlement in the valley was made in 1805 by George Holman, Richard Rue and Thomas McCoy. The "John the Baptist" of the Quakers, the leader of the "Whitewater settlement of Friends," was Judge David Hoover. Following the Hoovers came Jeremiah Cox and John Smith.