Photo: Cooper-Alley House, ca. 1863, East River Road, Noble Township, Shelby County, IN. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2011, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2013.
The Shelby County Courthouse is located at 407 South Harrison Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176; phone: 317-392-6320.
Established in 1821, the county was named for General Isaac Shelby [1750-1826] who became the first governor of Kentucky after serving in the Revolutionary War.