Pekin City Hall is located at 111 South Capitol Street, Pekin, IL 61554.
The first to settle in the area that would become Pekin was Jonathan Tharp who built a log cabin on the east bank of the Illinois River in 1824. He was followed by family members and friends. The "Town Site" was laid out by William Hodge, a county surveyor, in 1829. The city was named after Peking, China. A post office was opened in 1832. By 1837 the town had 3 stores, 2 taverns, a church, a railroad depot, a school and ferry service across the Illinois River. The town was organized as a city in 1849.