Photo: House at the Corner of North Pearl and West Center Streets, Lebanon Historic District, Lebanon, IL. The Lebanon Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Robert Lawton (own work), 2006, [cc-by-2.5 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2013.
Lebanon City Hall is located at 312 West Saint Louis Street, Lebanon, IL 62254.
Like many other places in the "Little Egypt" region of southern Illinois, the city was named for the Middle Eastern country of the same name. [Lebanon, IL, en.wikipedia.org, accessed November, 2013]
Lebanon as described in 1939 
Lebanon, platted in the first quarter of the nineteenth century, basks in the leisurely atmosphere of McKendree College, one block north of the highway on Alton Street. Organized by pioneers in 1828 and named for William McKendree, bishop of the Methodist Church, the school is the oldest Methodist college in the Middle West, one of the three oldest colleges in Illinois. Originally a theological seminary, McKendree is today an accredited liberal arts college with an average enrollment of 250. The mellow brick buildings, dominated by the stately chapel spire, resemble those in a Currier and Ives lithograph. Forty-six varieties of trees, many of them a part of the original forest, add to the beauty of the 20-acre campus.