Chatham Village Hall is located at 116 East Mulberry Street, Chatham IL 62629.
The Village of Chatham Illinois is located in Sangamon County, just south of Springfield, the state capital. The Village was platted in 1836. Growth began to accelerate in 1852 when the Chicago, Alton and St. Louis Railroad was constructed through the Village. In 1940, Chatham had a population of 867. After 1960, the village population grew rapidly, rising to 5,597 in 1980 and then increasing to 8,583 in 2000. The 2005 special census sets the current population of Chatham at 10,293. Chatham evolved from a small agricultural community to a growing residential suburb largely because of its proximity to the City of Springfield.