Photo: Lyman Trumbull House, ca. 1849, 1105 Henry Street, Alton, IL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark in 1974. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2014, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed July, 2016.
Alton City Hall is located at 101 East 3rd Street, Alton, IL 62002.
Lying along the Mississippi River, the City of Alton [1, 2] was laid out and platted by Colonel Rufus Easton in 1817. Easton named the settlement after his son. He established a ferry service across the River to the Missouri shore. A very tenuous undertaking in the early years, Alton began to blossom in 1831 and underwent a period of phenomenal growth from that year until the Panic of 1837.