Lake Barrington Village Hall is located at 23860 North Old Barrington Road, Lake Barrington, IL 60010.
The Village of Barrington Lake  is a small, predominately residential community located in the southwest corner of Lake County, approximately 40 miles northwest of the Chicago Loop. The Village is distinguished by its mature trees, larger residential lots, and open spaces. The Village includes the Lake Barrington Business and Industrial Park, which incorporates a variety of commercial and light industrial uses. The Village also surrounds the unincorporated area of the Good Shepherd Hospital campus, a full service hospital, cardiac and trauma care center.
The Village covers approximately six square miles and is bordered to the north by Wauconda and Tower Lakes, to the South by unincorporated Lake County, by Route 14/Northwest Highway, by Tower Lakes and North Barrington to the east, and to the west by the Fox River Grove and unincorporated Lake County. The Fox River forms the western border of the Village. The Village operates under the Board/Administrator form of government with a President and six Trustees elected at large.
Prior to the settlement of what is now Lake Barrington by European homesteaders, the area was controlled by the Pottawatomie Indian Nation who subsequently gave up their rights to the land with the signing of the Treaty of Chicago in 1833. Joseph Flint and his son Arnos were the area's first homesteaders. In 1834, they laid claim to a site along what is now called Flint Creek near its junction with the Fox River. In 1946, a land developer named Robert Bartlett purchased the Criswell estate, property that had been in that family since before World War I. It was a parcel of approximately 600 acres consisting of land used for farming and grazing, as well as wooded areas and a 100-acre lake. At that time, he paid $500 per acre for this property that would later become Lake Barrington Shores.
In 1959, the Village of Lake Barrington became incorporated, as did other neighboring areas at that time. Incorporation allowed for the establishment of area zoning classification, thus allowing local control of population growth. The first Village election was held on November 21, 1959, electing Jorgen Hubschman as president who for many years conducted Village meetings in his home.
The 1960s brought growth to Lake Barrington's boundaries through much property annexation, including the Business and Industrial Park located at Route 14 and Pepper Road. In 1971, subsequent to Robert Bartlett's death, J. S. James Company and the Standard Oil Company of Indiana bought his 600-acre parcel and began construction of the Lake Barrington Shores development.
Due to generous property donations from residents, the Village of Lake Barrington acquired different Village facilities over the years. The original Village Hall, located at Kelsey Road and White Pine Drive, was a carriage house deeded to the Village by resident Dr. Charles Shaner in 1969. In 1983, residents Emil and Myrtle Wienecke donated their family home and its surrounding 8.5 acres of land located on Old Barrington Road. This building served as the Village offices until 1993, when the current Village Municipal Park was constructed after careful planning, wise investments and the sale of these donated properties.
Lake Barrington adopted Lake County's Watershed Development Ordinance in 1994 and later became a "Certified Community." The Village established a Tree Preservation Code, Tree Committee, Annual Community Forestry Program, and is currently recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation as a "Tree City U.S.A." community.
Relationships with other governmental bodies were broadened. Fox River Grove agreed to provide sewer utilities to the Business and Industrial Centers, and Cuba Township agreed to provide roadside maintenance to the Village. Other accomplishments included: a new Park pavilion constructed by the Lake Barrington Countryside Park District on the grounds of the Lake Barrington Municipal Center, the Lake County Forest Preserve constructed the "Grassy Lake Trail," and the Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District established a station in the Lake Barrington Business and Industrial Park.