Photo: Nathaniel Halderman House, ca. 1854, 728 East Washington Street, Mount Carroll, IL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Photographed by user:Jerrye and Roy Klotz, MD, 2006, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed October, 2014.
Mount Carroll City Hall is located at 302 North Main Street, Mt. Carroll, IL 61053.
Mount Carroll as described in 1939 
Mount Carroll is the seat of Carroll County and the home of Francis Shimer Junior College, a school for girls founded in 1853, with an average enrollment of 165. The college is housed in a dozen red brick buildings in the Georgian style, set in a trim quadrangle.
Between Mount Carroll and Savanna, US 52 crosses rough, rolling country as it approaches the Mississippi River.
The first to claim a mill site and lands at Mount Carroll, in 1836, were Paul Otis and Granville Mathew, who sold their claim to David Christian, Jr., Nathaniel Swingley, S.L. Hitt and George Swaggert in 1837. Mount Carroll was first incorporated in 1855 and organized as a city in 1867.