Coeur d'Alene City Hall is located at 710 E Mullan Ave, Coeur D'Alene ID 83814.
"CDA" is the shorthand name used by locals when referring to the city.
What is now the state of Idaho was part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 and was explored by Lewis & Clark in 1805-06. In April 1878, Colonel Henry Clay Merriam with a detachment of Calvary, arrived at the mouth of the Spokane River. Colonel Merriam built and operated the first sawmill in the area. This mill was used to cut the lumber for the 80 buildings of Fort Coeur d'Alene plus the timbers needed to build "Amelia Wheaton", the first steamboat on Lake Coeur d'Alene. This steamer was used for many years to transport firewood and hay for the Fort. Later, steamers named "The Coeur d'Alene", the "General Sherman" and most famous the "Georgie Oakes" hauled ore from the Coeur d'Alene mining district to Coeur d'Alene. The silver, lead, and zinc ores were loaded onto the steamers near the Cataldo Mission and transported to railcars in Coeur d'Alene.
In 1887, Fort Coeur d'Alene's name was changed to Fort Sherman, in honor of General William T. Sherman. North Idaho College and the historic Fort Grounds neighborhood now occupy the former Fort Sherman grounds. By 1888, 1,000 people lived in Coeur d'Alene City, and by 1910, the population reached 8,000. In what is perhaps the first recorded city code enforcement action following the "long and hard" winter of 1896-97, the citizens found the stench of pig pens, cow barns, and other out buildings to be unbearable. Public wrath was directed to the City Council, forcing them to take drastic measures to abate the problem.
In 1892, the Coeur d'Alene Press was established by Joseph T. Scott. It was published as a weekly newspaper until 1910 and has since been published daily.