- Burlington City
- Danville City
- Mediapolis City
- Middletown City
- West Burlington City
- HISTORIC SITES
- Augustus Caesar Dodge House
- Crapo Park and Arboretum Historic District
- Dennis Melcher Pottery and House
- Des Moines County Court House
- Hedge Block
- Heritage Hill Historic District
- Jagger-Churchill House
- James M. Forney House
- Mary Darwin House
- Mason Charles House
- Snake Alley Historic District
- Starker-Leopold Historic District
- West Jefferson Street Historic District
Photo: James M. Forney House, ca. 1864, 401 Cedar Street, Burlington, Iowa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Photographed by User:Ian Poellet (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed September, 2017.
Des Moines County administrative offices are located at 513 North Main Street, Burlington, IA 52601; phone: 319-753-8272.
Des Moines County was established and originated in 1834. It and Dubuque County were the only counties in existence at this time. Together they contained all of present day Iowa in their borders. In 1836 the Wisconsin Legislature split Des Moines County into Lee, Van Buren, Des Moines, Henry, Louisa, Muscatine and Cook counties. The present boundaries of Des Moines County were established in 1839.
- County History, www.dmcounty.com, accessed September, 2017.