Carnesville, the seat of Franklin County, was incorporated in 1807, and in 1826 a second, more substantial courthouse was built there. The town is named for Thomas Peter Carnes, a lawyer and congressman of the Revolutionary War era. The current courthouse dates to 1906.
Strange=Duncan House [†]>p>
Many of the earliest settlers along the Old Federal Road acquired their property through Revolutionary War land grants. Seth Strange came to Franklin County with his parents in the first years of the 19th century to settle, after receiving a Revolutionary War land grant. Strange built his Plantation Plain type house around 1820 with the use of slave labor. His parents house was located approximately three miles from his house along Nails Creek.
Strange sold his property to John Duncan, a prosperous South Carolina slave holder, in 1863. Duncan, along with the Ariails, represents the third wave of settlers that moved into the region. According to the 1880 Agricultural Census, Duncan was the owner of a farm consisting of 56 tilled acres, 600 acres of woodlands, and 299 unimproved acres. The value of his land, buildings, and fences was estimated to be worth $5,952; the farm implements were estimated at $155; and the livestock was estimated at $50. Duncan owned 1 horse, 2 mules, milk cows, 5 other cows, 21 swine, and 60 barnyard poultry. Duncan had 20 acres planted in cotton which yielded 17 bales, 12 acres of corn which yielded 500 bushels, 4 acres of oats which yielded 75 bushels, and 7 acres of wheat which yielded 65 bushels.
The house was sold by Duncan to W. H. T. Gillespie after Duncan's death in 1890. The Gillespie family had a farm located east of the Strange-Duncan House and used the house as tenant housing.
† Georgia Mountains Regional Development Center and consultants, Strange-Duncan House, 1990 & 1996, nomination document, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C., accessed December, 2020.