Photo: Alfred Ayer House, CA. 1885, U.S. Routes 27/441, Ocklawaha, FL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. Photographed by User:Ebyabe (own work), 2007, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2014.
The Marion County Courthouse is located at 110 Northwest First Avenue, Ocala, FL 34475; phone: 352‑620‑3904.
Marion County was created in 1844 from parts of Alachua, Hillsborough and Orange counties. It was named for South Carolina's General Francis Marion [1732-1795] of Berkeley County, South Carolina. Marion was known as The Swamp Fox for his heroism performing guerrilla missions during the American Revolutionary War.