Plainfield Town Hall is located at 8 Community Avenue, Plainfield, CT 06374.
Plainfield was settled in 1689. It was named, and incidentally recognized as a town as early as 1700. The Indian name of the locality was "Pantoosuck." There was a lengthy dispute among the early settlers as to titles and claims of various portions of the land. A final resolution was achieved in 1706 between Governor Winthrop and Major Fitch.
Manufacturing interests began developing during the first part of the 19th century. About 1807 several companies began developing cotton spinning mills. Included in these was The American Cotton Manufacturing Company which was composed of Thomas Rhodes of Providence, Peter B. Remington of Warwick, Messrs. Holden and Lawton of Rehoboth, and Obed Brown, Dyer Ames and others of Sterling.
Nearby Towns: Canterbury Town •