This is one of the oldest brick schoolhouses in Connecticut. It was built ca. 1790 , probably by Timothy Hinman, who gave the land, and the school on it, to the School Society of the First Parish, sometime before his death in 1810. Originally the building was intended to have two functions: a school on the first floor and a public meeting place on the second.
It served as a schoolhouse between 1800 and 1942. In 1845 the town of Southbury resolved to restore and preserve the school as an historical monument. The schoolhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. 
Main Street North • Route 6 • Route 67