Fenwick Borough Hall is located at 580 Maple Avenue, Old Saybrook CT 06475.
Fenwick, laid out in 1870 as a business venture by the New Saybrook Company, became the summer home of many of Connecticut's most socially prominent, politically powerful, and wealthy residents. Industrialists, insurance executives and financiers from Hartford and Middletown built spacious cottages for their families along Fenwick's winding roads.
Surrounded by water on three sides, yet easily accessible by railroad from Hartford and Middletown, Fenwick held great appeal for the families of central Connecticut's elite. Originally part of a large parcel of land owned in colonial times by George Fenwick, one-time governor of Saybrook Colony, and his wife, Lady Alice Fenwick, had become just another saltwater farm by the time the New Saybrook Company purchased it in 1870.
Fenwick was incorporated as a borough in 1885.