Deep River Town Hall is located at 174 Main Street, Deep River CT 06417.
The Town of Deep River developed as one of a group of towns united under the name of Saybrook. (It was not until 1947 that the name was officially changed to Deep River.) Settlement began in 1635 when the English, under the direction of John Winthrop-, Jr., took possession of the land near the mouth of the Connecticut River.
Deep River grew to become a fairly thriving industrial town, producing ivory combs, piano keys, and auger bits. Though it was not a poor town, the town government administered its business in an indadequate hall adjoining the post office until a fire destroyed the post office in 1891. In 1893 the present town hall was built as a town project. That it was designed as an opera house, as well as for housing town offices, was not unusual. This combination of uses was provided for in at least two other Connecticut towns — Derby and Thomaston.