Goshen Town Hall is located at 42 North Street, Goshen, CT 06756.
The first settlement in Goshen was made in 1720, and in 1722 individuals of Hartford and Windsor came and laid out the township which was then called "New Bantam." The name was changed to Goshen in 1737.
The first town meeting was held on December 6th, 1739. John Beach was chosen moderator, and Samuel Pettibone town clerk. John Beach, Samuel Pettibone, Nathaniel Baldwin, Samuel Towner and Benjamin Williams were chosen selectmen. Moses Lyman was chosen collector and treasurer.
The town was not officially granted a patent by the General Assembly until 1749. While application for patent was requested in 1745, it is probably that it was delayed due to some of the petitioners' failure to compy with the terms of the purchase. Conditions of purchase required that they occupy their land within 2 years, and build and finish a house at least 18 feet square, clear and fence six acres of land, and remain resident on the land for at least 3 years.
Nearby Towns: Cornwall Town •