Glendale City Hall is located at 5850 West Glendale Avenue, Glendale AZ 85301.
Early Settlement, 1880-1890
- Construction of the Arizona Canal enabled agricultural development northwest of Phoenix.
- Desert Lands Act of 1879 opened irrigable lands in the Salt River Valley to homesteading.
- Promotional efforts of Phoenix capitalist and land developer W. J. Murphy.
- "Colonization" of Glendale/Peoria area with ranches by settlers from around Chicago.
- Construction of Grand Avenue in 1888 from Phoenix to Peoria (through Glendale site).
Town site Development, 1891-1906
- Establishment of the "Temperance Colony of Glendale" by B. A. Hadsell and members of the Church of the Brethren from Illinois.
- Plating of the Glendale Town site in November 1892.
- Completion of the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway in 1895 through Glendale.
- Flood of 1895 followed by three years of drought devastated Glendale farmers.
Development Trends, 1907-1929
- Completion of Roosevelt Dam in 1910 assured a stable irrigation water supply.
- First building boom of housing and businesses for new agricultural workers.
- Town of Glendale incorporated 18 June 1910 with a population of 1,000.
- Extension to Glendale of Phoenix Street Railway System operated 1911-1928.
- Russian colonists arrived in 1911 to cultivate sugar beets.
- Catlin Court residential subdivision platted in 1915 as first cohesive neighborhood.
- Cotton boom during WW-I collapsed in postwar depression.
Depression and the New Deal, 1930-1940
- Effects of depression were most severe in Glendale in 1931-1933.
- New Deal programs help housing and farming.
World War-II and the Postwar Boom, 1941-1950
- Thunderbird Field and Luke Field established by U.S. Army Air Corps in 1941.
- Aluminum defense plant established south of Glendale.
- American Institute of Foreign Trade established at former Thunderbird Field in 1946.
- Airmen and defense workers settle in Glendale after WW-II.
- City of Glendale Historic Preservation Commission, Historic Preservation Plan for the City of Glendale Arizona, Final Report, 2003
Nearby Towns: Peoria City •