Maumelle City Hall is located at 550 Edgewood Drive, Maumelle, North Little Rock, AR 72113.
Maumelle is one of the state's youngest cities. It can boast, nonetheless, of a long history of planning. The original community was one of thirteen "new towns" in America created under the New Town Act of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. As such, it developed from a plan prepared by some of the best talent available at the time of its creation.
Two brothers, Jacob and James Pyeatt, established the first white settlement in the area in March of 1812. The settlement became known as Pyeattstown, which is now a part of the golf course of the Maumelle Country Club. By 1819, the settlement had grown to include more than 150 persons. It was reported to be a center of fashion, intelligence, and religion. General Edmund Hogan built a home in the vicinity of the River Run subdivision in 1821. Later, Hogan registered a plat for a town site to be called Crystal Hill. In 1822, Arkansas Territory Governor James Miller bought most of the property that belonged to General Hogan. Miller wanted a new territorial capital built nearby, but the legislature voted to build it in Little Rock. Governor Miller would return to his native New Hampshire in 1822. The land in Crystal Hill for which Miller had paid hundreds of dollars was sold for $3.99 in taxes in 1843.
Only farmers remained in the area until 1941, when the U. S. Government purchased the land from a number of landowners to build the Maumelle Ordnance Works. The facility produced munitions for the army during World War Two. After the war, the property went on and off the market for a number of years.
In 1967, Jess P. Odom, an Arkansas businessman and insurance executive, submitted a bid for approximately 5,000 acres and set out to build a "New Town." Odom formed Maumelle Land Development, Inc. and with assistance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, had a master plan prepared.
Maumelle is one of the thirteen master planned cities that appeared across the U.S. in the early 1970s. By spring of 1974, the town's infrastructure, with master plan, was in place and the first family moved in. Maumelle was declared a first-class incorporated city on June 21, 1985. Today, the population exceeds 15,000 and has grown into a complete community full of businesses, churches, and industries.