Photo: Idlewild, ca. 1843, Route 5, Talladega, Alabama. Home built by William Blount McClellan [1796-1881], West Point graduate who served as a Colonel in the Confederate Army. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. Photographed by User:Brian K. Chatham (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed February, 2014.
Talladega City Hall is located at 203 West South Street, Talladega, AL 35161.
First incorporated in 1835, the act was repealed in 1843; it was again incorporated in 1901.
In 1833 the legislature appointed commissioners to locate the county seat. They chose "The Battle Ground," naming it Talladega, after the Indian village. In laying off the town, provision was made for a courthouse site, a public square, and academy and church sites. Capt. Jacob Shelby and Richard Hampton were the contractors for the brick courthouse, with William Shelby as brick mason. It was begun in 1836 and finished in 1838. Previous to its completion, court had been in a large log-house near the spring. In 1834 the first school was opened by Miss Spears. From 1832 to 1837 a number of settlers arrived. Among them were John White, Col. William Hogan, Joab Lawler, Eli Shortridge, Alexander Bowie, Felix G. McConnell. F. W. Bowdon, Joseph Camp, Jacob Bradford, J. J. Woodward, Colonel William Curry, L. E. Parsons, J. B. Martin, Alexander Rice, John T. Heflin, and John Henderson. Several of them became distinguished in the affairs of the State: Hon. J. L. M. Curry, Governor Lewis Parsons, Judge Samuel Rice, Dr. Samuel Hogan, surgeon on Gen. Joe Wheeler's personal staff, and the Isbell family, philanthropists and capitalists.