Photo: Governor Andrew Moore House, ca. 1830s, Marion, AL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Photographed by user: RuralSWAlabama, 2009, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed December, 2014.
The Perry County Courthouse is located at 300 Washington Street, Marion, AL 36756; phone: 334‑683‑9061.
At the suggestion of Joseph Evans, a South Carolinian, the county commissioners, charged with finding a suitable location for the county seat of Perry County, changed the name of the town from Muckle's Ridge to Marion, honoring General Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox" of Revolutionary War fame. After laying off the courthouse square and the surveying of streets, on May 22,1822, lots were sold at public auction but due to heavy rains, prices for prime lots remained quite low. The early sale of lots included those adjacent to the courthouse square.