The Morgan County Courthouse is located at 302 Lee Street Northeast, Decatur, AL 35602; phone: 256‑351‑4600.
Morgan County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature in 1818 from land acquired from the Cherokee Indians by the Treaty of Turkeytown. The county was originally named Cotaco for a creek that flows through it. On June 14, 1821, the name was changed to Morgan in honor of Gen. Daniel Morgan (Virginia), a hero of the American Revolution. Morgan County lies in the northern section of the state, on the Tennessee River. It is bordered by Limestone, Madison, Marshall, Cullman, Winston, and Lawrence counties. Morgan County encompasses 575 square miles. The county seat was at Somerville from 1818 until 1891. Then it was transferred to Decatur, named after Stephen E. Decatur, hero of the 1804 Battle of Tripoli. Courthouse fires occurred in 1926 and 1938. Other towns and communities include Hartselle, Falkville, Priceville, Valhermoso Springs and Eva. –www.archives.state.al.us, accessed September, 2011.