Athens City Hall is located at 1806 Wilinson Street, Athens, AL 35611.
John Craig, of Tennessee, made the first attempt to settle in Limestone County about 1800. Camping 3 days above the big spring at what is now Athens, and not liking the temper of the Indians, he broke camp and returned to Tennessee.
Samuel Robertson settled in 1808 on the present site of Athens, where he established a trading house, and for 2 years carried on a considerable business with the white people and Indians. Thomas Redus built the first grist mill in 1808. About 1810 another grist mill was built in the fork of the Piney about 1-1/2 miles above Mooresville.
An election was held in 1818 to appoint commissioners who would have the power to place the seat of justice within the county. The location of the courthouse was an all-absorbing question in the election. Three places were nominated, Athens, Cambridge and English Springs. After an exciting contest, Athens was selected, the men running on her part were Reuben Tilman, Thomas Redus, Jeremiah Tucker, Robert Pollock, and Samuel Hundley.