Limestone County, Alabama
The Limestone County Courthouse is located at 310 West Washington Street, Athens, AL 35611; phone: 256‑233‑6400.
Limestone County was established in 1818 from Elk County (then a part of the Mississippi Territory.) County land area is approximately 550 square miles. It is named for the Limestone Creek which passes through it. 
Athens was designated as the county seat in 1819.
- History of Limestone County, Alabama, www.linestonecounty-al.gov, accessed October, 2011.
- Athens Courthouse Square Commercial Historic District
- Athens State College Historic District
- Belle Mina
- Blackburn House
- Cave Place
- George S. Houston Historic District
- Governor George Smith Houston House
- Joel Eddins House
- Old Athens, Alabama Main Post Office
- Robert Beaty Historic District
- Robert Donnell House
- Sulphur Trestle Fort Site