Photo: Miller-Martin Town House, ca. 1859, 62 Louisville Avenue, Clayton, AL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Photographed by User:SaveRivers (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed August, 2015.
Clayton Town Hall is located at 45 Reed Avenue, Clayton, AL 36016.
Settlement of the area that would become Clayton began as early as 1818. The town is named for Augustine Clayton, a Georgia congressman. In 1833 the town was laid out on a central courthouse square and designated as the county seat of Barbour County. A post office was established in 1835 with John F. Keener serving as the first postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1841 with John Jackson serving as its first mayor. [en.wikipedia.org, accessed August, 2015]