First Montrose Commons Historic District
The First Montrose Commons Historic District is comprised of 2 contiguous subdivisions: the Lockhart, Connor & Barziza Addition (platted in 1873) and the Bute Addition (platted in 1907).
This Streetcar Suburb was served by the Montrose Streetcar line which terminated at the intersection of Roseland and West Main Streets. The service was operated from 1912 until 1937.
Contributing residential homes were built ca. 1900-1930. A number of apartment buildings were built ca. 1920-1940.
A majority of the contibuting, single family homes were built in the Craftsman Bungalow style.