Bingen, named from the little village on the Rhine, situated near the western boundary line of the township, grew out of the organization of the North Pennsylvania Iron Company. This company was organized mainly through the efforts of William R. Yeager; it was chartered in 1869; the first furnace was blown June 1, 1871. The furnace reached its peak production in 1874, more than 10 tons. The property was later acquired by the Bethlehem Steel Works. Bingen became a post office in 1871.