Lanark was named after a town in Scotland. 
Heller's Tavern at Lanark was opened in 1800 by a Mr. Keimly. Peter Knepply kept a store there. Jacob Seider also had a tavern in the township. In 1772 Jacob Ziegenfuss was a tavernkeeper here. In 1778 William Kunius, John Stahl, Nicholas Kooken and Erhard Weber had taverns. In 1788 Carl Huth and Richard Jackson had stores in the township and Daniel Kupper a tavern.