The Romberger Stover House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Portions of the text, below, were adapted from a copy of the original National Register nomination document.  Adaptation copyright © 2008, The Gombach Group.
The Romberger-Stover House is a noteworthy example of the Queen Anne style unusual in its richness for the small rural community in which it is located. This structure reflects the more eclectic variations which influenced the architecture of this period. With its size and setting on Market Street, this building takes visual command of the southern approach to the village. The interiors are notable in that there have been very few alterations.
Bengohan Romberger (also found to be spelled Benjamin) was born on January 17, 1821 in Mifflin Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. He married Amelia Fisher in 1842. She died in 1869. Bengohan Romberger was a farmer in Mifflin Township. He was a school director for two terms and tax collector for seven terms. He was also very active in real estate and horse trading, and also operated several stores in Berrysburg, Pennsylvania. On April 1, 1876 Benjamin Romberger purchased Lot #51 in Berrysburg, Pennsylvania from Henry L. Lark an Attorney. On April 2, 1876 he married his second wife, Hannah Schreffler Troutman. He began immediate improvements to the property now known as the Romberger-Stover House.
Joseph Fisher Romberger, son of Benjamin Romberger was also very active in real estate, banking, farming, and in general was a very active businessman. His father, Benjamin, still held the deed to Lot A1 in 1887 when Joseph F. Romberger began making additional improvements to the property. At this time the house began to take the general appearance it has today. (See enclosed photograph dated 1887).
Irma Grace Romberger was born in 1872 and died in 1964. She was a daughter of Joseph Fisher Romberger and grand-daughter of Benjamin Romberger. She married John F. Stover on April 11, 1893. At this time her grand-father, Benjamin, sold the property to John F. Stover for a token sum of $500.00, although he had paid $1000.00 for it in 1876 and had made many improvements. John F. Stover made additional improvements. (See enclosed photograph dated 1900.) The Stover Family occupied this property until May 1977. In effect the property was in the Romberger-Stover Family for 101 years. In May 1977, the property was purchased at public sale by Gene R. Boak.
The Rear Wing, containing the existing kitchen and dining room, is the original structure and was built around 1842. In 1887, Joseph Romberger built the now existing Victorian structure that serves as the main building. This building was left in its original form until 1897 when the bay windows were added by John Stover. Again in 1898 John Stover added the porches as they appear today. There were no major changes until 1969 when a bath was added off the first floor kitchen.
The building is a wood framed two story structure. The construction method is of post, beam and stud construction. The main Victorian structure is approximately 22' x 32' with a 20' x 24' rear wing. The south and west sides are surrounded by a wood framed porch. The roof of the main building is now slate and the porch roof is a new built-up roof with some tin remaining on the gable and dome; the rear wing roof is of tin.
The windows are topped with carved wood heads and most have either panel louvered shutters. The main entrance is a pair of curved top raised panel doors in a carved wood entrance frame to match windows.
There are no fireplaces, therefore no ornamental chimneys were constructed, however, there are two small heater stacks at the rear wing.
The porch is wood framed with 1 x 4 wood decking. The roof is supported by Corinthian style wood columns that sit on brick piers.
The entire house is trimmed with ornate carved fascia, brackets, soffits and corner boards with horizontal wood siding.
A low decorative cast iron fence, on a limestone base, fronts the property. A cement walk in front of the property was placed in 1910.
Additional Structures on Site
There is a small summer kitchen with a large "walk-in" brick fireplace. It is a stud and clapboard building. One window it as been altered and will be restored. There is also a garage.