"A small, attractive community situated between Parkesburg and Coatesville, has had more confusion with its mail than any other place in Chester County. It was originally named Chandler's Store or Chandlersville after William Chandler who established a general store, coal yard and warehouse there. Though the railroad station was called Chandlers, the post office, founded in 1864, was known as Buck Run. To remove the confusion, Major John M. Pomeroy, a Civil War veteran, suggested the present name, adopted in 1866, to honor his family. In the early 1890s the post office was located in Stottsville, a mile away, and the post office in Pomeroy was called Alameda. Three months later, in December 1893, the name was changed to Pasadena because there was another Alameda in Pennsylvania. But the confusion in mail matter did not end until Pomeroy post office was moved back to the village of the same name. The Pasadena post office was closed in 1898." 
Homes in Pomeroy are primarily single family detached and semi-attached (twins); interior living space ranges from approximately, 1,000 to 1,500 sq. ft.; lot sizes range from approximately one-tenth to more than one-third of an acre.