"The name of the railroad station on the line between West Grove and Oxford was originally Penn Station. Early in 1871 Robert Kelton, the station agent, asked to set up a post office for settlers in the lower end of Penn Township. The postal authorities readily approved a post office but not the name. There was a post office with a similar name in Westmoreland County and another named Penn over the line in Lancaster County. The post office was consequently called Kelton in honor of the station agent, and in 1885, four years before Robert Kelton resigned as postmaster, the railroad changed its name to Kelton."