"As colorful as the famed tulip fields of Holland are the rose fields surrounding this unhurried little village on US 1 between Oxford and Kennett Square. The sponsorship of the place name is credited to two local doctors. It seems, according to research of Louis J. Ficcio, that Thomas Ruston, who was born about a mile and a quarter from the village and worked with Edward Jenner, the English doctor who discovered vaccination for smallpox, after studying medicine in Scotland, named the village Jennerville upon his return to America. But for some reason the name was not adopted for a post office established there in 1813. The post office was called Londonderry. In 1822, eight years after his appointment as postmaster, Dr. Josiah Ankrim had the name of the post office changed to Jennersville, and it continued in operation until 1904."