banner search whats new site index home


Beginnings [1]

A small settlement in Charlestown Township whose chief support is drawn from neighboring stone quarries, was settled before the Revolutionary War and grew slowly until a railroad jostled it. The railroad was called Beaver for Joseph Beaver, who conducted a general store on the main street, but it was named Devault when the post office was established in 1885 to differentiate it from 13 other post offices named Beaver in the United States, one of which was already in Pennsylvania. It honored the first postmaster, Devault Beaver, son of the storekeeper.

  1. Pinkowski, Edward. Chester County Place Names,, Sunshine Press, Philadelphia, 1962

Devault Map

Street Names
Charlestown Road • White Horse Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 215-295-6555 • 106460 • Privacy