Charlestown Township municipal offices are located at 4030 Whitehorse Road, Devault PA 19432; phone 610-240-0326.
Charlestown is home to a number of resources that are on the National Register of Historic Places. These include Avon Lea (The Oskar Stonorov House, circa 1938), the Llewellyn Martin and Roger Little House (circa 1735), the Davis B. Williams Farm (circa 1800), the Jacob Wisner House (circa 1761, 1845), and part of the Middle-Pickering Rural Historic District (which spans parts of Charlestown, East Pikeland and West Pikeland Townships).
The name, Charlestown, honors Charles Pickering, the friend to whom William Penn granted 5,383 acres along the creek where Pickering and his friend John Tinker, believed (mistakenly) that they had found silver. The two men dug a cave into the side of "Tinker Hill", thus creating the first non-Indian residence in the township. Drowned on a voyage back to England before 1700, Pickering willed his land to sixteen friends. The acreage was combined with that of John Grey and of Penn's sister, Margaret Lawther, to become Charlestown Township in the first official survey of 1738. This included both Schuylkill Township and the Borough of Phoenixville, areas removed from Charlestown before 1850. –source: Charlestown Township.