Gallagherville — The name of this village with small drab houses along U.S. 30 one mile west of Downingtown blossomed without any preconceived design. The village grew around a tavern opened by Samuel Siter in 1801. After Henry Gallagher took over the tavern in 1813, the evolution of the name reveals that it was changed from "Sign of the Wagon" to Waggon Tavern in 1817, Gallagher's in 1830, and Gallagherville Inn in 1844. The name is recorded on Breous' Map of 1883 as Calankerville. The village was laid out mainly on 93 acres of land Henry Gallagher left to his seven children upon his death in 1835.