Beulah Road is all that is left to tell of the town of Beulah, laid out in 1796 by Rev. Morgan John Rhys, on land purchased from Benjamin Rush of Philadelphia. The plan was quite ambitious; the right-angled streets were copied after Philadelphia. This was to become a great city in the land of Jordan. It did prosper for a time. At length there were sixty log houses on the site, as well as a school, a church, and a library of six hundred volumes. But when Cambria County was formed Ebensburg became the county seat, and Beulah lost its population. By 1808 all had left. Ebensburg grew slowly until the completion of the Portage Railroad, when it became a popular summer resort.
Street Names: Beulah Road