banner search whats new site index home

Landisville


John, Benjamin and Felix Landis emigrated to America from Germany circa 1717. John, patriarch of the Bucks County branch of the family, settled in Milford Township, and from there his descendants spread throughout Bucks and adjoining counties. Many Landis' were millers. Abraham, probably a grandson of the immigrant John, bought the Spring Valley grist mill in 1783. Jacob, a joiner, and probably sibling of Abraham, also owned part of the original Spring Valley Mill tract. After a year, Abraham sold the mill and moved to Buckingham Township, purchasing a large land tract which eventually became known as Landisville. He either built a grist and flax mill, or purchased one already in operation. The Landis family owned the mill at least through 1850. In 1892 it was purchased by Ulysses G. Strouse who operated it until 1932. It was then town down. Further up Pine Run, but still on Landis property, was a sawmill that operated as late as 1850. In 1827 a band of Orthodox Friends separated from Plumstead Meeting and began gathering near the village in a small stone building. The village petitioned for a Post Office sometime before 1897, but was turned down as there was already a Landisville PO in Lancaster County. By the end of 1897 the petition was granted with the post office named Ely, named for the first postmaster, Nathan Ely. The name of the village nevertheless remained Landisville. [1]

  1. MacReynolds, George, Place Names in Bucks County, Bucks County Historical Society, Doylestown, 1941

School District: Central Bucks

Landisville Map

Street Names
Landisville Road • Stony Lane

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 101117 • Privacy