Gablesville is the village that grew around a mid-19th century saw & oil mill and store; Abraham Gable acquired the property in 1828; the property passed to his son John and subsequently to John's daughter who married Jacob Bahr. The original oil mill was replaced in 1897 by one used to grind feed and to manufacture handles and spokes.
The Gables operated a store as early as 1854. The store was still operated by family descendants at least up until 1990, as noted in the National Register documentation for the "Bahr Mill" Complex which included the 1897 mill plus 12 additional resources.
The Gable family and the small industrial complex served area residents for more than 175 years.