The Carverdale Addition  is triangular-shaped, bounded on two sides by (now abandoned) Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) railroad tracks. On the east side were the main tracks and on the west side there was a spur. The southern boundary of the addition is Northeast 10th. The topography of the addition is rolling hills and the streets were designed to follow.
The Carverdale Addition was platted in 1944 and the residences and the design of the streets represent post World War II housing and neighborhoods. Developed by a white person, the houses were marketed to Black soldiers returning from the war. This neighborhood represents the opportunities available for African-Americans to purchase new housing as a result of the GI Bill. The Minimal Traditional style of architecture is used throughout the district and the curvilinear streets reflect the new style of subdivision layout which was popular beginning in the late 1930's and continuing until the present. The majority of properties located in this neighborhood were built after 1945. However, this area may be eligible for the National Register as an exception because of its exceptional historical significance to the African American community.
Typical homes were built ca. 1946; they have 2 to 3 bedrooms with 1 bath and range from approximately 800 to 1,100 sq. ft. of interior living space.