Pound Ridge Historic District
The Pound Ridge Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.  Adaptation copyright © 2009, The Gombach Group.
The Pound Ridge Historic District is located in the town and hamlet of Pound Ridge in far eastern Westchester County, approximately two miles north of the Connecticut border and one and one-half miles south of the Ward-Pound Ridge Reservation, a 3294-acre county-owned park and wildlife preserve. The Pound Ridge Historic District encompasses almost all of the hamlet, which is located along Pound Ridge Road, Westchester Avenue and Salem Road, which link the hamlet to New Canaan, Connecticut and Bedford, Salem, and other neighboring New York communities. The hamlet and Pound Ridge Historic District are centered on a small plateau which drops gradually to the southwest along Pound Ridge Road and more sharply to the northeast along Salem Road. The core and center of the Pound Ridge Historic District and hamlet, where development is densest and the religious, commercial, civic and other historically non-residential buildings are concentrated, is located on Westchester Avenue near Pound Ridge Road. Outside of this core, buildings are located on relatively large (three- to five-acre) lots along the gently curving tree-lined roads; the buildings are visually isolated due to the irregular topography and the dense growth of trees and shrubs. The Pound Ridge Historic District boundaries generally follow rear lot lines and include all of the buildings of the historic hamlet; the boundary excludes a large tract of vacant land associated with the Major Lockwood House. The Pound Ridge Historic District extends from the former Methodist Parsonage northwards along Pound Ridge Road, Westchester Avenue, and Salem Road,, and includes the properties on the northwest side of Pound Ridge Road and the Major Ebenezer Lockwood house on the southeast side, all properties on both sides of Westchester Avenue between Pound Ridge and Stone Hill Roads, all properties on both sides of Salem Road between Stone Hill Road and Trinity Pass, and the Odle Lockwood and John Tyler houses north of Trinity Pass. The Pound Ridge Historic District of approximately ninety-five acres contains fifty-two buildings on thirty-four properties: twenty-six contributing principal buildings, twenty contributing outbuildings, three principal buildings which are non-contributing due solely to age, two non-contributing principal buildings (total of forty-six contributing historic buildings).
The buildings in the Pound Ridge Historic District were constructed between 1758 and ca.1950, with the majority dating from the period between 1780 and 1852. The Pound Ridge Historic District's period of significance spans the period between 1758, when its first documented building was constructed, and 1935, to include all the antiquarian renovations in the historic district that are at least fifty years old.
Residences in the hamlet range in size from the modest one and one-half story Betsey Lockwood Hunt House (1823) to the large five-bay Solomon Lockwood House (ca.1800). Except for the brick Pound Ridge Elementary School, buildings in the historic district are of frame construction, painted white with black or dark color trim. The predominantly late eighteenth/early nineteenth century buildings retain remnants of Victorian period embellishments and eclectic antiquarian embellishments in a Neoclassical mode which date from the period 1928-1941. The Victorian period embellishments include such things as fish-scale shingles, French windows, and small porches. The overlay of Neoclassical style embellishments is more prevalent and includes Palladian windows and English "bow-front" and "sail-front" shop windows.
The non-residential buildings located in the core of the hamlet and Pound Ridge Historic District are the Methodist Episcopal (Community) Church (1833), the Patterson Memorial Presbyterian Church (Conant Hall, 1893), the Presbyterian Lecture Hall (Pound Ridge Town Hall, 1852), and the Parker Store (1906); also located here is the former Lewis Lockwood Store (1830). Two additional historically non-residential buildings are located outside of this concentration; they are the Pound Ridge Village School (Hiram Halle Memorial Library, 1851) at the intersection of Westchester Avenue and Stone Hill Road and Aaron Wood's Mill (ca.1800), located on a stream behind the William Lockwood House (1838). The Methodist Episcopal Church is a small, one-story transitional Federal/Greek Revival style church building which largely retains its original appearance despite the addition of a vestibule and rear education wings. The Queen Anne style Presbyterian Church features a diagonally oriented corner tower with open belfry, broach spire, and large Gothic windows in the pent-roofed cross cables. The Presbyterian Lecture Hall is a simple, one-story frame store building. The former Lockwood Store is a simple one and one-half story frame building with a porch with latticework supports. The Pound Ridge School (Halle Library) is similar in scale to the Presbyterian Lecture Room in scale and design, but has been enlarged by the addition of side wings; the Aaron Wood Mill is currently in use as a residence, but retains much of its original fabric and restored stone raceways.
Scattered along the north side of Pound Ridge Road are the former Methodist Parsonage (1851), the Partridge Thatcher House (1788), the Betsey Hunt Lockwood House (1823), the William Patterson House (1835), and the Pound Ridge Elementary School (1939). On the south side of the road, opposite the Methodist Episcopal Church, is the Major Ebenezer Lockwood House (ca.1780). The Partridge Thatcher and Betsey Lockwood Hunt houses are one and one-half story five-bay frame residences composed of a two-bay pedimented main block with a one and one-half story wing and porch. The William Patterson House is a two-story frame residence with simple Federal style detailing and a four-bay facade, a feature not commonly found outside of Connecticut. Located to the east of the Patterson House is the one-story brick Colonial Revival style Pound Ridge Elementary School. The Major Ebenezer Lockwood House is a two-story, five-bay frame residence. Overlooking Pound Ridge Road from a small bluff on the east side of Westchester Avenue is the Lewis Lockwood House (1833). The one and one-half story residence was extensively remodelled in 1868 in the French Second Empire style, receiving a mansard roof, cupola, and wrap-around porch with pierced scroll-sawn balusters.
The buildings located in the less densely developed section of Westchester Avenue, between the core of the hamlet and the intersection of Westchester Avenue, Salem Road, and Stone Hill Road, are substantial two-story residences; all but one, the James Staples House (ca.1861), were built by members of the Lockwood family. The Alsop Hunt Lockwood House (1840) is a two-story, three-bay Greek Revival style frame residence with cornice returns; a band of Victorian period fish-scale shingles connects the cornice returns, and above this is a Palladian window added in the 1930s. Located near the former Lewis Lockwood Store, the building was expanded to serve as a restaurant in 1936, which use continues today. The Staples House combines cross gable projections, square bay windows, and broad eaves of the Italianate mode with a trabeated Greek Revival style entrance with transom and sidelights. The remaining residences in this group are frame, five-bay, center-entrance residences which date from the period between 1758 and 1829. The entrance of the Captain Joseph Lockwood House (ca.1758) has a simple rectangular transom, while the entrance of the Joseph Lockwood House (ca.1790) features sidelights as well as a rectangular transom protected by a late nineteenth century porch with simple turned posts. The William Smith House (1829) and the Solomon Lockwood House (ca.1800) feature entrances with sidelights and fanlights.
The remaining buildings of the hamlet and Pound Ridge Historic District are located north of the Pound Ridge Village School (Hiram Halle Memorial Library) and Stone Hill Road where the topography once again becomes somewhat irregular. The buildings are the Horace Reynolds House (1840), the Odle Lockwood House (ca.1840), the John Tyler House (?1737, ca.1780), the Elisha Brown House (1850), the William Lockwood House (1838), the Aaron Wood Mill (ca.1800), the Gun House (?1775/ca.1915), the Salem House (ca.1780/1940), and the Alice Tomlinson House (ca.1750/ca.1935). The largest residences in this part of the Pound Ridge Historic District and the hamlet are the two-story, five-bay frame Horace Reynolds House (1840) and the two-story, three-bay William Lockwood House, located opposite each other just south of the fork of Trinity Pass. The Aaron Wood Mill, currently a residence, is located on a small stream of water behind the William Lockwood House. The five-bay, one and one-half story, frame Salem House was created in the 1930s by combining a ca.1780 house from North Salem, New York with another house from Bedford, New York and a barn from Danbury, Connecticut. A second example of a building moved into the community and altered for use as a residence is the Alice Tomlinson House, a small eighteenth-century grocery store brought to Pound Ridge from Petersham, Massachusetts in the 1930s and for use as a residence. The Elisha Brown House is a five-bay, one and one-half story, frame residence to which were added diamond-paned casement leaded windows and a small pedimented vestibule, ca.1930. The John Tyler House is a modest, one and one-half story frame residence which evidently dates from the eighteenth century, and may contain materials from John Tyler's original house of 1737.
The Pound Ridge Historic District is significant as a rare example of a rural hamlet which retains architectural and spatial characteristics and historical associations which illustrate family and community life patterns in eastern Westchester County in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Although most of the buildings in the historic district have evolved through at least two stages of "tasteful" improvements, the Pound Ridge Historic District continues to reflect the Connecticut origins of the community's founders. The hamlet of Pound Ridge is rare in Westchester County for the integrity of its overall setting, which has received few insertions of post-nineteenth century buildings, as well as for the quantity and integrity of surviving architectural resources from its historic period. The buildings and their settings combine to illustrate the evolution of local house types from Connecticut prototypes through the first half of the nineteenth century and reflect the patterns of the community's founding, development, and domination by the Lockwood family through the 1860s. The Pound Ridge Historic District also evidences remnants of decorative improvements made during the hamlet's late nineteenth/early twentieth century period of development, primarily illustrated by the addition of Victorian period porches and the construction of carriage houses. The Pound Ridge Historic District gains an additional layer of significance, however, by the more pervasive antiquarian alterations by businessman/inventor/philanthropist Hiram Halle, which mark Pound Ridge's transformation from declining agrarian center to bedroom community in the metropolitan area. Halle's alterations recall the period between the two World Wars when the automobile made the combination of country living and city employment much more widely available. They illustrate the widespread popularity of the Colonial Revival aesthetic in the American decorative arts of the period. Halle's renovation designs also reflected European antiquarian models in addition to American models, creating a unique interpretation of the Colonial Revival idiom. The Pound Ridge Historic District's period of significance spans the period between 1758, when the earliest definitely documented building was constructed, through 1935 to include all the construction, alterations and renovations that occurred during the historic period.
Initial settlement of the Pound Ridge hamlet dates from 1737 when John Tyler established a farmstead on the site of the John Tyler House. Definite dating of the house is impossible due to numerous nineteenth- and twentieth-century interior alterations; however, the chimney stack and structural members are believed to date from Tyler's ownership of the property. In 1740, Joseph and Israel Lockwood of Stamford, Connecticut purchased Tyler's holdings, which at that time were considered a part of the large tract of land known as Stamford. In 1742, Joseph Lockwood purchased his brother's half interest in the property, and in 1743, Joseph Lockwood and his family moved to Pound Ridge, where the Lockwood family was to remain dominant in local affairs for more than a century. The Lockwood lands were redivided upon Joseph Lockwood's death in 1757 between two of his sons; Captain Joseph Lockwood received the northern portion of the property, while Major Ebenezer Lockwood received the southern portion; this is reflected in the settlement patterns of their descendents. Subsequent generations of the Lockwood family maintained an agrarian existence as the hamlet grew in size with the expansion of the Lockwood family and evolved into a small civic, commercial, and institutional center. Pound Ridge is unique in Westchester County in the extent of the family-oriented dynamics that contributed to its physical development during the nineteenth century. Between 1772 and 1868, members of the Lockwood family maintained almost continuous control of the office of town supervisor in addition to holding a variety of other town offices; in addition to serving as town supervisor between 1807 and 1819, Ezra Lockwood was a Surrogate Judge of Westchester County and Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. Lockwood family members were also leaders of the Presbyterian Church, which they helped to establish in 1760; in the 1830s, Sara Thatcher, granddaughter of Major Ebenezer Lockwood, married the Rev. William Patterson, who subsequently served as pastor of the Presbyterian Church between 1835 and his death in 1889. The Lockwoods' Connecticut heritage, social status, and extensive interaction are embodied in the continuity and change of Pound Ridge architecture. The generally large, relatively formal residences of the Lockwoods reflect their social prominence; the persistence of elements of traditional Connecticut building forms and Federal period decoration through the 1830s and the slow adoption of modern house forms and picturesque modes of decoration illustrate the Lockwoods' and Pound Ridge's continuing cultural, economic, and transportation ties to southwestern Connecticut. Nineteen of the thirty-one principal buildings in the Pound Ridge Historic District are directly associated with members of the Lockwood family.
Although of no strategic importance, Pound Ridge was attacked during the Revolution by a detachment of British troops led by Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton. The reasons for the attack were fourfold. The raid was part of a larger effort to dislodge Washington from the vicinity of New York by terrifying the local inhabitants and Tarleton also had "hopes of surprising a regiment of the Enemy's Cavalry at Pound Bridge (sic)." A probable third incentive for Tarleton was the fact that Pound Ridge was the home of Major Ebenezer Lockwood, a Justice of the Peace, member of the Westchester County Militia and Committee of Safety, and delegate to the New York Provincial Congress. The "Enemy's Cavalry" was a regiment of Col. Elisha Sheldon, charged with defending the frontier against British and Tory incursions; Captain Lockwood's home was Sheldon's Pound Ridge headquarters. Tarleton's fourth, and possibly greatest, reason for attacking Pound Ridge was the presence of Benjamin Tallmadge, leader of the Culper Ring, the spy network working for General Washington in the New York area. Frustrated in his attempt to capture Sheldon's cavalry, Lockwood and Tallmadge, Tarleton ordered the burning of Major Ebenezer Lockwood's house and the Presbyterian Church, where cavalry horses had been picketed.
Although the hamlet was settled before the Revolution, few houses from that period remain. The John Tyler House is believed to contain material from John Tyler's 1737 residence. The rear wing of the Major Ebenezer Lockwood House is believed to be all that remains of a 1761 residence burned by the British in 1779 and later expanded. The Ezra Lockwood House, is locally reputed to be a ca.1780 conversion of a ca.1758 barn. All but eight of the buildings in the Pound Ridge Historic District date from the period between 1780 and 1852, which corresponds roughly with the community's period of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century prosperity. Pound Ridge enjoyed moderate growth between the end of the Revolution and the eve of the Civil War. The population of the town grew from 1256 in 1800 to a peak of 1486 in 1859. Many farm families engaged in home industries to augment their incomes. One specialty was the finishing of shirts and other items of men's clothing using pre-cut parts supplied by manufacturers in High Ridge and New Canaan, Connecticut. Shoes were also manufactured in Pound Ridge homes from parts supplied by the factories of J. and T.W. Benedict, Amos and Ebenezer Ayres, and Henry Pinney of New Canaan and the George W. Todd (later Scofield & Todd) of Long Ridge, New York. Basketmaking was the third major home industry in nineteenth-century Pound Ridge. Local basketmakers wove baskets for domestic and agricultural use and, during the peak years of basket production following the Civil War, supplied baskets for the flourishing oyster industry in New York City, the Connecticut and Long Island towns on Long Island Sound, and Hudson River towns as far north as Poughkeepsie.
Throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Pound Ridge maintained its ties to the Stamford area, the source of its early settlers. Travel to New York and other points was largely by way of Stamford and New Canaan, first by mail stage and sloop, and later by rail from stations in Stamford and New Canaan. Pound Ridge residents continued to receive news via the Stamford newspapers, as many do today; when the Pound Ridge post office was closed, its papers were transferred to Stamford rather than to a neighboring New York post office.
Essentially a Connecticut community, Pound Ridge's late eighteenth and early nineteenth century architecture reflects the New England roots of its builders. As in Connecticut, the building types found in Pound Ridge evolved from an early central-chimney, hall-and-parlor form which often features enclosed stairs and a rear one-story shed. Simple interpretations of pre-Civil War Neoclassical styles applied to these New England house forms predominates in the Pound Ridge Historic District. Examples include the Partridge Thatcher House (1788), the Joseph Lockwood House (1780), the Joseph Lockwood, Jr. House (1790), and the Horace Reynolds House (1830). The one and one-half story Partridge Thatcher House and the two-story Lockwood Houses are simply embellished frame residences of the Federal period; the Reynolds House is the most elaborate of these, featuring a center entrance with transom, sidelights, and simple attenuated pilasters. The two-story William Patterson House (1835) features an unusual four-bay plan, a distinctive characteristic of Connecticut's traditional residential architecture; the building's simple exterior is accented by a pilastered main entrance door surround.
Several houses in the Pound Ridge Historic District reflect a Federal-period shift towards more formal plans with side or center entry/stair halls. In these houses, the chimneys are moved away from the center of the house, usually between rooms rather than on end gable walls. The two-story, three-bay Ezra Lockwood House (ca.1800) features a three-bay side-hall plan with an open stair; the one-story wing is an enlargement of the original kitchen wing. The two-story Solomon Lockwood House (ca.1800) and the one and one-half story Betsey Lockwood House (1823) both feature center hall plans. The larger Solomon Lockwood House has an open stair and end-wall chimneys while the Betsey Lockwood Hunt House retains such traditional elements as an enclosed stair in a rear corner room and chimneys placed between internal walls. As in other district residences of the period, exterior decoration is limited to simple embellishment of the main entrance surrounds. The Federal period was also a time of experimentation and great elaboration in interior decoration. The door surrounds of the Solomon Lockwood House feature pilasters and lintels of concave profile and corner blocks with incised heats. The Ezra Lockwood House is embellished with fascia triglyphs and Doric pilastered door surrounds. Horatio Lockwood inherited the house of his father, Ebenezer, and ca.1808 added the present main block with its finely crafted Adamesque window and door surrounds and pilastered fireplace surrounds with deeply carved oval fan panels. The Adamesque taste in interior decoration remained popular in the relatively isolated hamlet into the 1830s; the William Patterson House, built in 1836, features interior woodwork similar to that found in the Ebenezer Lockwood House.
The Alsop Hunt Lockwood House (1840), the James Staples House (ca.1861) and the Lewis Lockwood House (ca.1833) mark the final departure from traditional New England forms. All three have consolidated side hall plans; the least altered of the three, the Alsop Hunt Lockwood House, illustrates the adoption of more widely popular decoration for modest middle-class houses. The Greek Revival style Lockwood House features an entablature, cornice returns, and a trabeated entrance with transom and sidelights.
The Pound Ridge Historic District retains several early nineteenth century non-residential buildings, concentrated near the intersection of Westchester Avenue and Pound Ridge Road, which represent the hamlet's nineteenth-century civic core and illustrate its importance as the town seat and commercial center. These include the transitional Federal/Greek Revival style Methodist Episcopal (Community) Church (1833), the Greek Revival style Presbyterian Lecture Room (1852, the present Pound Ridge Museum), the Greek Revival style Pound Ridge Village School (1851, the present Miram Halle Memorial Library), the Aaron Wood Mill (ca.1800), and the Lewis Lockwood Store (1830).
The mid-nineteenth century development of large-scale mechanized factories led to the gradual demise of the home jobbing system of production. Between 1859 and 1900, the population of the town of Pound Ridge declined from 1486 to 823. Many residents, lured by relatively stable employment opportunities, left Pound Ridge to take factory jobs in nearby cities in Connecticut and New York. The rapid decline of the oyster industry due to harbor pollution, coupled with competition from machine-made and foreign baskets, lowered the average price of baskets from $15/dozen in the 1860s to $3.50/dozen in 1888. The panic of 1893 caused further economic decline in Pound Ridge and spurred the continued exodus of residents seeking better opportunities elsewhere. An additional factor in Pound Ridge's decline was its lack of local access to rail transportation; rail lines projected through or near the hamlet were never constructed. Between the Civil War and World War II, no new roads were built in the town of Pound Ridge, and portions of the town were abandoned. Construction in the hamlet was largely confined to embellishments applied to earlier buildings. In most cases, these embellishments took the form of porches and bays (the William Patterson House and the James Staples House) or decorative siding (the Alsop Hunt Lockwood House). The Lewis Lockwood House (ca.1833) underwent an extensive renovation in the French Second Empire style, acquiring a mansard roof, cupola, and wrap-around porch with pierced scroll-sawn balusters; unlike many other Victorian period alterations in the historic district, these survived the wave of renovations initiated by Hiram Halle in the 1930s. The Pound Ridge Historic District also contains two buildings constructed during this period which were built to replace earlier buildings which stood on the same or immediately adjacent sites. The Queen Anne style Patterson Memorial Presbyterian Church (1893) was built as a memorial to the congregation's long-time pastor, William Patterson. Parker's Store (1906), a simple frame commercial building, is a mid-nineteenth century barn moved from the rear of its lot and converted to use as a store to replace a building of similar size which stood on the same site until destroyed by fire in 1905.
Other new construction during the late nineteenth century included the construction of outbuildings; including carriage barns constructed behind the Alsop Hunt Lockwood House, the William Smith House, and the James Staples house. The carriage barns feature cross gables, vertical board siding and cupolas with pyramidal roofs.
In the 1920s, persons from New York and other nearby cities, attracted to Pound Ridge by its rural setting and large stock of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century buildings, began to purchase country homes in the Pound Ridge area. Among those who came to Pound Ridge was inventor/businessman/philanthropist/antiquarian Hiram Halle (1867-1944). Halle, a native of Cleveland, Ohio acquired a fortune as the holder of several oil industry patents and as director of the financial and business affairs of the Armour family in the 1910s and 1920s. Having been forced by family circumstances to quit school and go to work at the age of sixteen, Halle later developed an interest in antiques and art which he pursued at home and while travelling to Europe on business. In the late 1920s, Halle purchased and renovated a house which stands outside the hamlet historic district on Trinity Pass; he also reconstructed several old barns on this property to store his collections of architectural elements and antiques. In an effort to provide employment for local residents, Halle eventually purchased a total of thirty buildings in the hamlet and surrounding area, removing most late nineteenth century additions and adding an eclectic assortment of English Regency and New York and New England Federal period architectural elements.
Halle's alterations and additions, which date from the period between 1928 and 1941, now form a pervasive and significant element of Pound Ridge's history and appearance. The transformation of Pound Ridge was largely a product of the popular Colonial Revival taste that changed the face of many New England communities during this period — most commonly effected by the removal of Victorian period embellishment, the white paint color, and the restoration of symbolic Colonial details such as small-paned windows, shutters and classical ornamentation. Halle's alterations were distinctive in that they also followed English antiquarian models, introducing features not commonly associated with the American Colonial experience: metal and leaded glass windows, "sail-front" and "bow-front" windows, and European interior artifacts such as mantels, panelling and ornament. Despite these alterations, the buildings in the hamlet retain their basic historic forms and much original classical ornamentation, expressing the community's historic cultural ties with Connecticut and the New England building tradition. Typical alterations included the addition of Palladian and half lunette attic windows (Alsop Hunt Lockwood House and William Lockwood House), English "sail-front" shop windows which curve both vertically and horizontally (William Smith House), gambrel roofs (William Lockwood House), and leaded glass and steel windows (Elisha Brown House) and enlargement of wings (Ezra Lockwood House), as well as the removal of Victorian-period porches (William Patterson House and William Smith House). Halle also deepened shallow cellars and added wings and floors while leaving the original cores of buildings structurally intact. Halle also partially furnished the houses with pieces from his extensive collection of antiques and rented them to persons, many of whom were from New York City, whom he felt would appreciate them as he did. Although Halle designed a few of the renovations himself, Walter Gillooly was the architectural designer for most of them. Herman P. Scheid, who supervised the local craftsmen who carried out the work, remained in Halle's employ from 1929 until Halle's death in 1944.
During the 1930s and early 1940s, the hamlet gradually made the transition from deteriorating rural hamlet to exurban bedroom community within the sphere of metropolitan New York City. A sign of the change which had occurred in Pound Ridge was the construction of a new, suburban type elementary school in the hamlet. Partly in response to recommendations of the New York State Department of Education and partly in response to the pressures of growth and demands by new residents for better schools, the Pound Ridge elementary schools were consolidated and a new elementary school was constructed in the hamlet on land donated by Hiram Halle. The new school building (non-contributing due to age only) was designed in the Colonial Revival taste, which by this time had become the prevailing aesthetic in the hamlet. While the new building, completed in 1939, was regarded as luxurious by long-time residents, the new facility was what the new residents had come to expect from a public school; soon after its completion, the school district made a request (which was denied) to the Works Progress Administration for funds to add an auditorium. The new school reflects Pound Ridge's transformation from an agrarian community to one where suburban lifestyles and expectations were prevalent. By the time that Halle's work ceased in 1941. Pound Ridge had largely attained its present appearance and had become a bedroom community for surrounding cities, including New York City. Following Halle's death in 1944, many tenants purchased their homes from Halle's estate. Non-historic post-World War II alterations in the Pound Ridge Historic District, most notably those to the Methodist Episcopal Church (The Pound Ridge Community Church) and the Pound Ridge Village School (Hiram Halle Memorial Library) were also executed in the Colonial Revival style.
The Pound Ridge Historic District illustrates the dynamics of continuity and change which formed the architectural taste and appearance of rural nineteenth-century Westchester County and is a reminder of the political power and social preeminence enjoyed for over a century by a single settlement-period family in an agrarian town. While retaining its rural character and surroundings the hamlet and Pound Ridge Historic District also reflects the expansion of metropolitan New York into rural areas which occurred between the two World Wars.
Albany, N.Y., New York State Division for Historic Preservation Research Files.
Harris, Jay, God's Country, A History of Pound Ridge, New York. Chester, CT: Pequot Press, Inc., 1971.