Pound Ridge Town
Pound Ridge Town Hall is located at 179 Westchester Avenue, Pound Ridge NY 10576; phone: 914-764-5511.
The town of Pound Ridge was incorporated in 1788.
The Town of Pound Ridge was settled by farming people from Connecticut, who began to take up land within its borders in the latter part of the first half of the 18th century. The name comes "from the ancient 'Indian pound,' which formerly stood at the foot of a high ridge a little south of the locality known as Poundridge, where the Indians set their traps for wild game." The first settler is supposed to have been Deacon John Fancher. He came in 1730. In 1741 Joseph Lockwood, James Brown, David Potts, Ebenezer Scofield, and others from Stamford, made a settlement on the site of the hamlet of Poundridge. The Lockwood family was long the most prominent one in town. From an early period the settlers of Poundridge united their handicraft of shoemaking to their rural pursuits. They "went to the 'shoe shops' in the adjoining towns, received their work cut out, and took it home, each one making the whole article whether boot or shoe."